Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Let Go of Your Dreams

 All our lives we’re told phrases like “dream big,” and “hold onto your dreams.” Then reality hits. Life goes awry. Chasing dreams sometimes turns into living nightmares. Then what? I’m 30 years old and I’ve never had anyone tell me to let go of my dreams -until today when I decided to tell myself. Somehow I have to let go of some of my dreams. They’re not in the cards for me. The pursuit of them brought destruction when I was certain they’d only bring me a fulfilling life. 
Everyone has different dreams and dreams do come true -sometimes. However, it’s just as important for us to remember that it’s ok when they don’t. It’s ok to give up on dreams. Let go of unhealthy relationships, habits, and environments. This could apply to a list of situations. You want a cohesive family, but you need to distance yourself from toxicity. It’s ok to do that. You want to be the best mom, wife, member of your community, employee and/or student you can be, but the expense of what you’re sacrificing is no longer worth it. You need to let go of the pursuit of perfection. You want to move ahead in your career, but you realize a different path is calling your name. You need to follow your calling, even when it changes. 
We are not people meant for a path that always heads in a linear direction. We have to embrace the U-turns, sharp lefts, and yields of our lives instead of resisting them in the name of a dream we’ve always had. We’re ever changing, and it’s ok if our dreams are ever changing too. It’s ok to close a chapter and start a new one. For me this process has been extremely painful. What’s more painful though, is holding onto dreams no longer meant for you. Give yourself permission to let go of your dreams as needed. You’ll breath deeper and your soul will be lighter when you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment