Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Peace and Joy as the Result of a Pandemic

As the time draws closer for life to get “back to normal” I can’t help but to acknowledge a pang of dread subtly present. I say subtle because it’s overshadowed by relief that fewer will be sick, death rates will lessen, cabin fever will fade, and I’ll hug loved ones I’ve missed hugging. Jobs that were essential to sustaining families but deemed “inessential” to our government will be resumed. The world will celebrate. 
Every December I put pen to paper and hash out my goals for the upcoming year. This year a big goal for me was to have more energy and joy Monday through Friday instead of just reserving those delights for the weekends. I imagined that achieving that goal might look something like resuming my gratitude journal (a goal from a few years ago I practiced on and off but that ultimately never became consistent,) exercising more, eating healthier, and being intentional about enjoying the present moment. My mind was made up that I would achieve this goal as the result of my strategic efforts. 
Never would I have guessed that in 2020 I’d find more joy and peace as the result of a pandemic called Covid19. Don’t get me wrong. I work in healthcare, have children at home, and many loved ones over 60, so I’ve experienced my share of anxiety during this crisis too. My income has lessened and I’ve watched my kids throw back their heads in distress over missing meaningful events. My heart has been heavy as I watch society shovel out blame, shame, and suspicion of malicious intent. 
On the other side of that COVID coin I’ve found more joy and energy. I work less hours. I spend more hours with God, with myself, and with my children. I get more rest -both sleeping and awake. I do things less when I have to and more when I want to. My days aren’t filled with dread of attending to evening commitments that I wish I hadn’t committed to. Instead I’m dreading dreading things when life “resumes to normal.” 
Relief is found when I remind myself that I don’t have to resume the parts of my life that were exhausting me. I don’t have to keep joy thieves in my life just because society tells me that’s what adults do. My hope is that as life resumes we find a new normal. I want to ditch energy vampires and allow time without an itinerary. I hope we embrace our health, our loved ones, and our rest with a new appreciation. May we create days that energize us and bring us joy, not just two days a week, but seven. 



1 comment:

  1. This is my truth, as well! We've been given the opportunity to push the "reset" button and I hope we all do! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete